Essential background checks checklist
- If it's a private sale, check their ID.
- Visit their address.
- Ask why they're selling and all about the car's history.
- Check the V5C matches the car and AutoCheck's details.
- Check the V5C is not a forgery (tip: compare it with the one from your current car). Look at the:
Font types and sizes
Alignment of data
- Check the V5C is not stolen (ring the DVLA helpline on 0300 790 6801 or check its website)
- Check the VIN on the VIN plate and the one stamped into the chassis of the car.
- Confirm the VIN on the AutoCheck site
Nice to have
- Service history
- Proof that manufacturer's warranty is valid
- A mechanical inspection to ensure that it is roadworthy.
Any person buying a used car should also seek their own independent advice
Start your AutoCheck now
Help and advice
Some relevant frequently asked questions