Who Are We? | What Is Our Commitment To You? | What Information Do We Collect?
How is Information Collected? | What Is The Information We Collect And How Do We Use It?
Do We Share The Information With Third Parties? | How Do We Protect Your Information?
Last updated: April 2011.
Who Are We?
AutoCheck is brought to you by Experian Limited (company number 00653331) whose registered office is at Landmark House, Experian Way, NG2 Business Park, Nottingham, NG80 1ZZ and who is an Appointed Representative of Motorfile Limited (company number 03009493), a company regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
What Is Our Commitment To You?
Protecting the privacy of your personal information is of importance to us. We believe that responsible stewardship of the information entrusted to us is crucial in developing and maintaining the public trust essential for our continued success. We are sensitive to your privacy concerns, and are committed to letting you know:
What information is being collected on our web sites;
How that information is collected;
How the information is being used; and
What choice you have regarding cookies and your personal information.
What Information Do We Collect?
In order to provide you with the services you require and to keep you up to date with other products and services we think you might be interested in, we may collect and keep a record of personal information. This information may include (amongst other things): your name, address, e-mail address, telephone/mobile, car registration and other car specific information, credit card/bank or other payment details.
In order for us (or a member of our Group or other chosen third parties working on our behalf) to be able to monitor and improve our website, we may gather certain information about when and how you use our services, including details of your domain name and IP address, operating system, the browser, and website that you visited prior to our website.
How Is Information Collected?
We may collect personal information from you (1) when you agree to take a service or product from us and complete an online enquiry/application form, (2) when you browse our website, and/or (3) when you contact us.
Experian Ltd uses pixels, or transparent GIF files, to help manage online advertising. These GIF files are provided by our ad management partner, DoubleClick. These files enable DoubleClick to recognize a unique cookie on your Web browser, which in turn enables us to learn which advertisements bring users to our website. The cookie was placed by us, or by another advertiser who works with DoubleClick. With both cookies and Spotlight technology, the information that we collect and share is anonymous and not personally identifiable. It does not contain your name, address, telephone number, or email address. For more information about DoubleClick, including information about how to opt out of these technologies, go to http://www.doubleclick.net/us/corporate/privacy.
What Is The Information We Collect And How Do We Use It?
We (or members of our Group) may use the information we collect about you for a variety of purposes including (amongst other things):
- Processing your AutoCheck search and providing you with the services and/or products you have requested.
- Processing your payment for the products and services you order from us.
- Storing your information in connection with the insurance policy applicable to the AutoCheck service, in case it is required with regard to a claim on that insurance policy, in which case we shall also process your information.
- Contacting you by e-mail and post and keeping you up to date in respect of the AutoCheck service. We may also contact you by e-mail to inform you about other services and products offered by (a) us, or (b) our Group, or (c) selected third parties that we think might be of interest to you. If you do not wish to be contacted by us in this way, please see the Opt Out section below for further details.
- Provided you have agreed to be contacted by third parties on our Website, we may disclose your information to carefully selected third parties whose services and products we think might be of interest to you. If you do not wish to us to disclose your information in this way, please see the Opt Out section below for further details.
- Dealing with your requests and enquiries.
- Carrying out customer and market research.
- Carrying out analysis.
- Maintaining our records and for other administrative purposes.
- Tracking activity on our website.
- Protecting our websites and systems against unauthorised access.
- Improving the quality of our service.
- Fraud/loss prevention purposes.
We may also supplement the information that you provide to us with information that we receive from third parties.
Do We Share The Information With Third Parties?
We may disclose any of the information that we collect to other companies within the Group and to those third parties referred to in the section below. Except as provided below, we do not share information with any other third party.
- We will share your information with Pinnacle Insurance plc (or such other AutoCheck Insurance provider as we may use from time to time) so that we can provide you with insurance in connection with the AutoCheck service and administer that insurance.
- We may be required by law (or regulation or rule having equivalent effect) to disclose your information to Motorfile Limited for Financial Services Authority and/or other regulatory purposes.
- We may disclose all of the information we collect (as described above) to companies that perform services on our behalf such as credit card processors, data management firms or call centre providers and data may be hosted outside the European Economic Area by such companies.
- We may disclose any of the information we collect to the police or other public sector bodies with authority to request such information, insurance companies, finance companies, and/or other fraud prevention agencies for the purpose of preventing fraud/loss.
- We may use carefully selected third parties (including members of our Group) to carry out certain of the activities outlined in the Section entitled "What is the information we collect used for and how do we use it?" for and on our behalf from time to time.
- Where you have used AutoCheck in conjunction with a third party promotion (such third party having been previously selected by you), we may disclose any of the information we collect (as described above) to such third parties for the purposes of processing payment, management information and campaign analysis.
- In accordance with your Opt-In instructions we may disclose all of the information we collect (as described above) to carefully selected third parties for the purpose of those third parties contacting you and marketing their own products and services to you.
How Do We Protect Your Information?
We restrict access to your personal data to those employees (including employees and officers of our Group), and third parties, who need to know that information to provide products or services to you. We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your personal data.
We protect the information you provide over the Internet by using secure web server technologies, which allows web browser programs (i.e. Netscape or Microsoft Internet Explorer) to interact with our web server via an encrypted session. We employ a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) connection that provides an encrypted connection between your computer and us. The 128 bit encrypted connection scrambles ordinary text or data into cyphertext to safeguard sensitive information during its journey across the Internet. The information is decrypted, or put back into a readable format, when it reaches its intended destination. When you visit the AutoCheck website you may move in and out of secured areas. Any time that you are on a registration page or providing us with your payment details, you will be in a secured area.
Because we operate throughout the world in providing our goods and services, this may involve us transferring your personal information to countries whose data protection laws do not provide the same level of protection as those in the UK. If we do so, we will ensure that an agreement is in place in which anyone to whom we pass the information agrees to treat it with the same level of protection as if we were dealing with it.
Personal Data And Your Rights
If we collect any personal data from you, you have the right to receive information about the personal data we hold about you (for which we may charge a small fee). The statutory fee is currently £10.00.
If at any time you decide that you do not or no longer wish
(1) to receive information from us which is intended to keep you up to date regarding (a) the AutoCheck service or (b) other services and products offered by us or our Group or offered by carefully selected third parties that we think might be of interest to you, or
(2) us to disclose your information to carefully selected third parties so that those third parties can contact you directly regarding their own services and products, you are entitled to "opt-out" of this process by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject matter stated as "Do not contact me". Alternatively, you can write to us at: AutoCheck Service Support, Experian Automotive, Landmark House, Experian Way, NG2 Business Park, Nottingham, NG80 1ZZ.
Start your AutoCheck now
Help and advice
Some relevant frequently asked questions
I have purchased a Multiple Check and I haven't used them all, why can't I do any more checks?
It is more than likely you have either registered your insurance, in which case any remaining checks will become void, or you have passed your 60 day time limit and your account has expired.
If I purchase a multiple check and I do not wish to use them all can I get a refund?
No, a multiple check is so you can check UP TO 5 vehicles. Any unused checks are non-refundable.
When does the 60 days start? When I register, purchase or when I check the first vehicle?
The 60 days start from the date of purchase of the AutoCheck.
Can you buy a check over the phone?
This service is an online service only, so we are unable to carry out a check over the phone.