Road tax and used cars

Road tax and used cars

UK Road tax disc

The DVLA should send you a reminder about road tax about three weeks before it expires. You can use this V11 form to renew the tax online, by phone or post, or at the Post Office.

If you don't get a reminder, you can use the DVLA's form V10 to re-tax the car if you're the registered keeper. If you're not, you'll need to get a registration document (which you should have done as soon as the car changed hands).

To get your road tax, you'll need a valid MOT (if applicable) and evidence of insurance cover.

The cost depends on the C02 emissions of your car. The amount you pay depends on which band you're in. See the DVLA site for the latest details.

If you are keeping the car off the road, you need to get a Statutory Off Road Notification - without this,
you still need to pay tax.

Views expressed on this page are those of the author and not of Experian.
Any person buying a used car should also seek their own independent advice

Start your AutoCheck now

Enter the vehicle registration plate
I am an existing customer
Enter email address:          Enter password:

Help and advice

Some relevant frequently asked questions